Most people can manage dental treatment with little more than some slight anxiety. For some people however, going to the dentist is a lot more difficult. Whether it was a bad experience as a child or some other issues, the fear makes it very difficult for some people to take care of themselves. We know that people who avoid dental treatment due to excessive fear and anxiety don't get the work they know they want and need. They don't have a nice smile and their dental problems get worse. This causes them even more worry. Dental phobias are serious business and we treat them as such.
At Hernandez Dental Center, we understand that these dental fears are real and that dealing with people's concerns is just as important as fixing their cavities. That is why we offer "Sedation Dentistry". "Sedation Dentistry" is done by taking a sedative tranquilizer medicine and may be supplemented by a medicated air to breathe containing nitrous oxide. Instructions must be carefully followed for "Sedation Dentistry" procedures because, although it is very safe, you will definitely be sedated.
Be sure someone can pick you up, drive you to the office and hold your arm as you walk into the office. You will be awake but very relaxed, a little woozy and disoriented, so you cannot walk alone.
After your visit, you will find that you won't remember very much, even though you'll feel fine. You must be accompanied by a responsible adult who can also take you home and keep an eye on you for the next few hours. Even though you may think you feel okay, you could lose your balance and slip and fall, so be sure to take it easy for the rest of the day.
At Hernandez Dental Center, we want to do everything we can to make your visits as pleasant as possible. Let us know any way we can help.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Will I feel any pain?
A. No. You will feel nothing!
Q. Will I be unconscious?
A. No, you are in a state of sleep, you are responsive.
Q. Will I be monitored?
A. Yes, one of our team is always with you and you're vital signs are monitored during the entire visit. You are never alone.
Q. How long will I be asleep?
A. Depending on your needs, from two to six hours.
Q. Will someone need to accompany me?
A. Yes, do to the sedative effects of the sleeping pill, you will need someone to drive you to our office and home again.
- It Really Works! You really can sleep through your dental appointment.
- It Is Safe! You take a small pill prior to treatment, no intra-venous tubes or needles.
- You will have little or no memory of the experience. You won't remember any sounds or smells.
- You can sleep for up to five to six hours after taking the pill. The time you are asleep will vary depending on your needed treatment.
- Complex dental treatments that often require six to eight appointments, can be done in as little as one! All while you sleep.
- People who have difficulty getting numb have no problem when relaxed and asleep.
- Sedation dentistry is a safe way to reduce the fatigue of extended dental treatment requiring long visits.
- When you arrive in our office, you will be escorted into the sleep room, covered with a thick, warm blanket and placed on a monitor to watch your vital signs. After you are comfortable, the staff at Walters Dentistry will take care of your dental needs.
- When your treatment is completed your companion will return you home to finish your relaxing sleep.
- High Fear.
- had traumatic dental experiences.
- difficulty getting numb.
- a bad gag reflex.
- very sensitive teeth.
- limited time to complete their dental care.
- complex dental problems.
People who ...
- hate needles and shots!
- hate the noises, smells and tastes associated with dental care.
- are afraid or embarrassed about their teeth.
- disabilities the preclude them from receiving traditional dental services.